Wednesday 31 October 2012

A new life

It is important to every woman that she can feel beautiful. In our day to day lives we often look in the mirror and swiftly carry on walking, me more than most. But sometimes things happen in our lives that leave us feeling lost and unable to recognise that person in the mirror.

Just over 12 months ago my dear Mother was diagnosed with Myleoma which is a Cancer that affects plasma cells and bone marrow. It goes through the whole body and there is no cure for this condition. Hearing this was the hardest thing I have ever had to face as my Mother is everything to me. She started her course of treatment which was harder than we had ever dreamed. Chemotherapy and Stem Cell replacement were just two of the list of treatments. 6 months ago she was in critical condition and spent two weeks in high dependancy, the longest two weeks of my life. 

Throughout all of this she has been incredible. As strong as she could be but undeniably she hit some severe lows. Then Mum started to turn a corner. The treatment began to work, the excruciating pain stopped and her appetite returned. She began to become stronger day by day and eventually came home. By this time her hair was practically gone. Shaving my Mother's hair off is something I never wanted to do but if anyone was going to do it I wanted it to be me. Since this point we watched the loss and the regrowth of her once beautiful mane. Day by day it is coming back and Mum embraces her wigs with grace. To be perfectly honest my Mum has not looked this good in a very long time. Her illnesses had taken its toll but she is now fit and glowing. 

As a photographer I wanted to give Mum her sense of beauty back which she had mentally lost due to this illness, so today we set up the cameras in her home and had the most wonderful time making her feel beautiful again. As a child I would wonder at my Mother's ability to put on a some lipstick and look radiant. She never lost it. She adores these images and has been talking about them now for 12 hours. I love them too. Her beauty never went, she just gets more beautiful by the day.





No comments:

Post a Comment